Celebrate Bisexuality Day is observed on Sept. 23 every year to honor the rights of bisexuals and remind people about the history of the struggle faced by the community.
As part of the annual National Bisexual Awareness Week in September, Bisexual Visibility Day, or Celebrate Bisexuality Day, is celebrated to bring awareness and dispel the rumors and myths surrounding bisexuality.
Here are some interesting facts about bisexuality that you might not know:
1. The word bisexuality can be traced back to 1824 when it meant "having both sexes in one being." In today's world, the term bisexuality means an attraction to more than one gender.
2. According to reports, in a survey of almost 35,000 people in 2004, only 0.7 percent of the population in the country eas identified as bisexual.
3. The flag that represents the bisexual community has three colors — purple, blue, and pink.
4. Only a small percentage of people are reportedly open about their true sexual orientation due to fear of the stigma associated with it.
5. Studies have shown that women's sexuality is more fluid than men's. They are three times more likely to report bisexuality when compared to men.
In addition to spreading knowledge on the need for the inclusion of people of all sexual orientations, Celebrate Bisexuality Day is also observed to encourage acceptance irrespective of the gender an individual belongs to.
Here are some quotes about bisexuality that will help you understand them better (courtesy: Brainy Quote):
1. "A lot of people told me I should be quiet about being bisexual and not say anything, but for me, this is a part of my identity." - Katie Hill
2. "You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender - people are people." - Judith Light
3. "You can't use the fact that I'm bisexual against me if that's something I'm proud of." - Lauren Jauregui
4. "Life is a short game. If you want to be bisexual, pansexual, do it." - Gaspar Noe
5. "Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender teens are bullied and ostracized in epidemic proportions. It's disgusting, and it must change." - Monica Raymund
6. "If I chose to live a bisexual life or I'm gay or whatever, that's my business." - Trina
7. "I am a bisexual Cuban-American woman, and I am so proud of it." - Lauren Jauregui
8. "Virginia Woolf said that writers must be androgynous. I'll go a step further. You must be bisexual." - Rita Mae Brown
9. The one thing that is sort of sneered at and not really believed is bisexuality. Any bisexual man is just seen as a closeted gay man. That shows how narrow-minded people are." - Edmund White
10. "It's hard being bisexual, omnisexual, multisexual, whatever you want to call it, when people have their agenda and expect you to just represent their agenda." - Meshell Ndegeocello